Servant Leadership ModelsDate posted: November 30, 2017
The world needs people who look away from themselves. They don’t look to their own ambitions, but look to God. Jesus didn’t rely on his own wisdom, but continually looked to the Father before he acted. Just as he cannot act alone, neither should we.
“I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him,
he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.” – John 15:5
During our three-day leadership conference, Malcolm Webber, the Executive Director of Leader Source, trained 400 of our staff and volunteers on two strategic models – The 5 C’s and 4 D’s.
All five of these must be found in a leader and we must build them into the next generation. We must have all five. The goal is not a perfect leader. The goal is to build leaders who are healthy in all five areas.
- Christ – He must come first. We must have union with Christ.
- Community – We need to engage in lives around us. It encourages accountability and teamwork.
- Character – Humility, servanthood, integrity. This has to come before our calling.
- Calling – This is critical in the life of a leader.
- Competencies – The capacity to think and act.
All four are important. You must engage all four dynamics of transformation. If you do, you will change lives. Teaching is important, but by itself, it’s not enough.
- Spiritual – How life is formed
- Relational – How lives are changed
- Experiential – How people learn and where people are built
“For we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you, because our gospel came to you not
only in word [instructional], but also in power and in the Holy Spirit [spiritual]
and with full conviction. You know what kind of men we proved to beamong you for your sake.
And you became imitators of us and of the Lord [relational], for you received the word in much affliction,
with the joy of the Holy Spirit, so that you became an example to all the believers [experiential]
in Macedonia and in Achaia. For not only has the word of the Lord sounded forth from you in
Macedonia and Achaia, but your faith in God has gone forth everywhere,
so that we need not say anything.” – 1 Thessalonians 1:4-8
You can read more about these models from Leader Source at https://www.leadersource.org/about/models.php.